raw plantain 3
turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
oil 1/2 lit (around 500ml; preferably coconut oil)
salt to taste
- Wash and peel the plantain skin lengthwise to take out the fleshy plantains(apply oil on hands to avoid staining).Keep a wide bowl with water and turmeric powder mixed in it,drop each plantain in it and leave for 20-25 minutes.Drain the water and pat dry the plantains on a paper towel.
- Cut slits as cross shapes and then cut even rounds to get quarters(the pieces shouldn't be as thick for sharkara varetti nor too thin as upperi).Spread these on a paper towel to soak excess moisture.
- Dissolve the salt in about 3 tbsp of water.Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a wok/kadai till 2 inches deep and the oil shouldn't be smoky hot nor dull,keep on medium flame.
- Add a slice and check if oil is just correct hot.If the slice pops to the top that means oil is perfectly hot to fry.Fry the cut out plantain quarters in 2 batches on medium heat.Fry them till you start hearing a ringing sound when they rub on each other about 3/4th done.
- Add half tsp of salted water in oil.You may hear a bubbling sound,but don't panic it will subside in another minute or so or place a lid on the wok to prevent splashing till the sound subsides.Check if the chips are done by taking out a piece,if its soggy and doesn't break easily then leave in oil till done.]
- Using a slotted spoon,drain on a paper towel.Total time to fry each batch may be around 15-20 minutes.Repeat the same step for each batch.
- Enjoy once cooled for tea or sadya or store in air tight containers.
Servings~ 80-90 pieces
* You can use kanji water (cooked rice water) to soak the plantains too.
* Don't over crowd the wok while frying(fry in batches).Don't heat the oil on very high heat otherwise the inside of the chips may not be cooked.
* The slices should be evenly cut so that there is uniform cooking throughout or else somepieces may get easily browned and other takes longer.
* To get the authentic taste of the chips,it should be fried in coconut oil.
* Chakka (chips)Varuthathu| Jackfruit Chips
* Kappa Chips | Tapioca Chips
* Sharkara Varetti | Sweet Chips