Thenga Chammanthi(coconut chutney) is one such nostalgic post which always reminds me of banana leaves parcels with rice(kuthari choru),thenga chammanthi,achinga payaru mezhukuparetti and omelette.This was always the menu in our train journeys when we were kids,and we used to just devour rice more that day.Somehow the blend of the chammanthi was mouthwatering esp when its ground on the flat grinding stone(ammikkal) found in Kerala.So,if its only rice and chammanthi too,I just love it.It is just a very simple dish which anyone could give a try and I assue that there will be no failures.Here,I tried it in the blender and so you can't expect the true traditional flavors but surely a must try recipe which all keralites love!!!
grated coconut 1 cup
red dry chillies 3-4
ginger shredded 1/2 tsp
peeled shallots 3-4(optional)
tamarind 1 gooseberry size
curry leaves 3-4
- Lightly warm up the red dry chillies and pulse in the blender.
- Then,add the grated coconut,and all other ingredients and little water.Blend it smooth but slightly coarse and remove from blender.Shape in your palms and enjoy with packed lunch or otherwise with rice.
* Freshly grated coconut serves best.
* Add very little water to grind the coconut.
* The chammanthi tastes best when ground on the flat grinding stones in Kerala.But blenders and mixies also do work.