Beef ularthiyathu /nadan beef roast is a common recipe in Kerala and a very tasty dish too.It goes well with plain rice,fried rice or tapioca .The recipe is simple and can be modified with any other meat.I don't prepare beef frequently, but whenever its prepared its a feast at home.All love this recipe very much especially when prepared for get togethers.There is no addition of tomato as it becomes too mushy and the fried onions masala makes it a tempting recipe.Try & enjoy !!!
beef 1.74 lb (cube sized)
onion 2 sliced
green chilli 5-6
ginger garlic paste 1 tsp
chilly powder 1 tsp
coriander powder 1 tsp
garam masala 1 tsp( anise -1,fennel seeds-1tsp,cloves-2,cinnamon - 1'' strand,cardamom -3,peppercorn -6)
turmeric powder1/2 tsp
pepper powder 1 tsp(if you want more spicier)
coconut cuts thin slices 1/3 cup
- Wash the beef thoroughly under running water and keep it in a strainer to drain off the excess water.
- Pressure cook the beef with salt and pepper powder or turmeric powder for 3 whistles on medium heat or more till it becomes tender.Add 1/4 cup water or no water too to cook.(beef leaves out water when cooked)
- Slightly roast the garam masala ingredients and grind it to fine powder.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan and fry the coconut slices and green chillies,keep aside
- Add sliced onions and saute onions till golden brown.
- Saute the ginger garlic paste.
- Add all the spices and saute ,donot burn it.Add half of the ground garam masala powder.
- Release pressure from pressure cooker and add the beef with stock.(gives more taste)
- Cover and cook for another 5 minutes till spices gets blended to beef.
- Cook uncovered till the water is dried up and the beef turns dark brown.(takes about 20 minutes)
- Beef satarts to leave the sides of nonstick pan ,then its ready to serve.
- Garnish with fried curry leaves,coconuts and green chillies.
* You can throw off the stock and use only the beef pieces (to reduce fat) ,but then it reduces the taste too.
* You can use store brought meat masala but the fresh powdered masala gives the authentic flavors.
Find more Beef recipes,here
Sending this to Street Food Of India event hosted by Rosh @ Chef Al Dente