coriander seeds/malli 1 cup /10 tbsp/56 gm
red dry chilly(I used spicy chilly) 100 gms
chana dal 25 gm(1/4 cup)
*turmeric powder/manjal podi 2tbsp
fenugreek seeds/uluva 1tbsp /12gm
black pepper corn/kurumulakku 1tbsp/12 gm
asafoetida/kayam powder/hing 1tsp
- Dry roast coriander seeds,red dry chilly,fenugreek seeds,pepper and chana dal on low flame for 3-4 minutes and keep aside.
- Wait to cool down completely and then powder it in the blender until ground.
- Sieve the mixture to get smooth powder.Repeat the process of blending if you have left overs.
- Add the asafoetida and turmeric powder to this smooth powder,mix well.
- Cool completely and then store in sir tight containers.
* You can use a mix of toor dal,chana dal and urad dal.
* The ratio of coriander seeds to red dry chilly 1:2.
* You can make large batches and store in freezer in ziploc bags.The daily use batch should be small in separate bottles so that it doesn't lose its fragrance.
* You can add whole dried manjal/dried turmeric intsead of turmeric powder.I used turmeric powder as I had my mom's homemade batch of turmeric powder prepared at home using whole turmeric .
Varutharacha Sambar made by using homemade sambar powder,I used just 1.5 tbsp of sambar powder to make sambar that serves four.No extra spices needed.Very simple right ??