Preparation time :2 hours 30 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Recipe source : maria's menu
roasted rice flour(idiyappam podi) 1 cup
water 1 1/4 cup + 1/2 cup
salt to taste
urad dal /uzhunnu1/4 cup
water 1/3 cup
grated coconut 1 cup(heaped)
shallots/kunjulli 2 large or 3-5 small
garlic/velluthulli 1 large or 2 small
cumin/jeerakam a pinch
water 1/3 cup
coconut oil /ghee 1tsp
jaggery 400 gm
thick coconut milk 1 cup
medium thin coconut milk(2nd milk) 3 cups
rice flour 2tbsp
|(I was in a hurry to click pics and so the sides haven't come out clean as expected)|
TO MAKE APPAM
- Wash and soak urad dal in water for 2 hours.After 2 hours,grind the urad dal with minimum(1/4 cup ) water to a smooth paste.Keep aside.
- In the mean time,boil water in a pan (1 cup).In a wide bowl,take the roasted rice flour,add salt.Mix well.Add the boiling water in the flour and using your hands,make a smooth dough like for idiyappam(the dough may be very hot,so be careful)
- Add the ground urad dal in the dough and mix well with hands.Then,grind the coconut,cumin,garlic and shallots to a smooth paste,add this mix to the batter and using your hands combine everything well without lumps(The consistency of the batter should be of that of idli batter).
- Line a baking tin /plate with coconut oil /ghee.Transfer the batter to the baking tin(place a cross with palm leaves which we receive from church on Palm sunday) and cover the tin with aluminium foil(prevents water vapor from the lid from dribbling in the batter).Pour water in a steamer,let it come to boil.Place the baking tin/plate and steam cook for 30-40 minutes(keep the flame same throughout).
- Cool for few minutes and transfer to a serving dish.Cut and serve with pesaha paal(recipe follows)
- Melt the jaggery with 1/4 cup water,strain the impurities and return to boil.Add medium thick coconut milk(2nd milk),keep stirring until the mixture thickens or half of it is evaporated.Mix the rice flour with water and add to the pan.Add the dry ginger powder and cardamom powder,mix well.Finally add the thick coconut milk(once bubble appears,switch off flame).The mixture thickens on cooling,so switch off flame accordingly.
* If your batter turns lumpy after adding coconut and urad dal then run in a blender for few mins to get smooth batter.The consistency of the batter should be of that of idli batter.
* The paal shouldn't be boiled over after thick coconut milk is added as it may curdle.