fish fillets /fish without bones cubed 3/4 kg
corn flour 1/2 cup
red chilly powder 3/4-1 tsp
lemon juice/vinegar 2tsp
red food color 2 drops (optional)
onion 1 peeled and cubed
capsicum /bell pepper 1 cubed
ginger minced 1 1/2 tsp
garlic minced 1 1/2 tsp
green chillies vertical slit 3
soy sauce 3tsp (refer notes)
red chilly sauce 2tsp
corn flour 1 tbsp
oil 4 tbsp
cilantro/ spring onion
- Wash and clean the fish by rubbing lemon juice and salt.Leave aside for 10 minutes,wash the fish under running water,drain water and leave aside.
- Prepare a thick marinade using corn flour,red chilli powder,turmeric powder,lemon juice,food color & salt.Add water if required.Add the cubed fish pieces in it,marinate it for half an hour.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the fish pieces in the oil in batches till golden brown on all sides.Drain on a paper towel.(please be careful not to break the fish pieces)
- To the same remaining oil,add the minced ginger and garlic.Saute till the raw smell disappears.
- Add the cubed onions ,saute for a minute or so,add the cubed bell pepper /capsicum.
- Add in the red chilly sauce and soy sauce.Mix the corn flour with half a cup of water,stir without lumps.
- Add to the mixture and keep stirring till the sauce thickens.
- Now,slide in the fried fish pieces gently so that it doesn't break.Toss in careful with the sauces,cover for a minute or so till the sauce coats well with the fish pieces and dries lightly.Put off flame.
- Garnish with chopped spring onion or cilantro.
* I prefer shallow frying the fish pieces but you can always deep fry if you're scared of breaking the fish pieces.
* You can add one egg white for firming the fish coating,I have omitted that.
* Adding green chillies can be omitted if u wish a mild spicy version.In case,you wish to add more spiciness then add 2-3 red dry chillies too.
* If you wish to have more gravy,then add water & corn starch to the sauce accordingly.
* I have used light soya sauce,if you prefer the dark one then add as per taste.
Other Indo-Chinese recipe links,if interested are :
Egg fried rice,
Baked vegetable spring rolls
Easy honey Chicken