Preparation time~15 minutes
Baking time~20 minutes
Serves ~12 muffins
wheat flour 1 1/2 cups
baking powder 1 1/4 tsp
baking soda 1/2 tsp
salt 1/8 tsp
yogurt 3/4 cup
granulated sugar 3/4 cup
vanilla extract 1 tsp
cinnamon 1/2 tsp
apple sauce unsweetened 2/3 cup
water 1/2 cup
oil 1/2 cup
carrots 2 medium sized or 1 cup grated
walnuts chopped 1/3 cup
- Sift the flour,baking powder,baking soda,cinnamon,salt.Combine well.
- Now,mix the yogurt and granulated sugar until sugar gets dissolved.Add in the vanilla extract.Add the unsweetened apple sauce(If you plan to prepare your own apple sauce,then do now).And finally add the oil.
- Add the grated carrots to the dry ingredients.Then,gradually add the dry ingredients in the wet mixture with the addition of milk(add the dry in three batches).You may not require the whole milk mentioned in the recipe (I used 1/2 cup,but that totally depends on water content in yogurt).The batter may not be ribbon consistency but slightly thicker.
- Pre heat oven to 350 degree Fand line a 12 muffin tray with baking cups.
- Finally,fold in the chopped walnuts and reserve a few for garnish if you don't want to use icing.
- Pour spoonful of batter in muffins cups upto 3/4 th full.
- Place and bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes(mine was done at 20 minutes) or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack and enjoy !!
*You can use butter instead of oil for added flavor.In that case,use a stick of butter or 113gms or you can divide butter and oil.
* Grate one apple and cook with 1/4 cup water until soften in a pan.Blend and puree in a blender to make apple sauce.You can use store brought unsweetened apple sauce too.
* You can use any nuts of your choice but that definitely adds the extra crunch.
* These muffins stays good in refrigerator for 3 days.Thaw before serving or microwave on high for 10 seconds.
* Use all purpose flour/maida for a lighter texture.In that case use only 1 tsp of baking powder.
For all muffin recipes,check here.
Just a peek inside,