Bharwan Bhindi or Stuffed Okra is a delicious side dish that can be served with steamed rice or parathas.This is a simple stuffing but you can always play with spices and make it more relishing.Okra is also known as 'lady's finger' in India- a more charming name.These vegetables are low calorie food and also has vitamin A,vitamin C,vitamin K and folates.Do give this popular dish a try and enjoy !!
Adapted Vah Reh Vah
okra(*tender ones) 20 small
coriander powder 1tbsp
kashmiri chilly powder 2 tsp
turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
ginger garlic paste 2 tsp
coriander leaves 2tbsp
salt to taste
oil 1tbsp + 4 tbsp
cumin seeds 1 tsp
hing 1/4 tsp
- Wash the okras,pat dry with kitchen towel or paper towel.Snap the head and then cut it open (vertical slit) but don't separate the two halves.Keep aside.
- Make a paste using the chilly powder,coriander powder,ginger garlic paste,salt and oil (1tbsp).Using hands,stuff each okra with the stuffing and keep aside.
- Heat oil (4tbsp) in a pan and add cumin seeds when hot.When it sizzles add hing and then add the stuffed okras.Swirl the kadai or pan so that all the okras are soaked in oil evenly.Cook on low medium flame covered.Add a pinch of salt after 5 minutes of cooking.Turn both sides of okra to get it nicely cooked.Switch off flame when oil is absorbed and the okra gets cooked.Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve warm with chapathis/parathas/steamed rice.Drizzle a tsp of lemon juice if you love a tangy flavor else serve just like that.
* You can add 1/4 tsp amchur powder too if you love the flavors.
* I love the masala slightly browned up(over cooked) but you can always switch off flame at your desired point of cooking.
TIP FOR SELECTING TENDER OKRAS
Snap the tail (pointed end)of each okras,If it snaps easily then its fresh and tender.If it bends and retracts,this means its fibrous and over matured.It will not cook properly.Always select tender ones.