Preparation time~30 mins
Cooking time ~ 20 mins
Serves ~12 kachoris
to make cover
all purpose flour/maida 1 cup
salt to taste
to make filling
split moong dal 1/4 cup
asafoetida a pinch
coriander seeds crushed 1tsp
fennel seeds crushed 1tsp
amchur powder/dry mango powder 1/2 tsp
dry ginger powder 1/4 tsp
salt to taste
- Wash and soak moongdal in water for 1 hour.Drain all water,spread on a paper towel for 5 -10mins.Add this to the blender and pulse 2-3 times.
- Crush /pulse 2 times in a blender-the coriander seeds,fennel seeds and dry red chilly if you don't have crushed spices.Add amchur powder,asafoetida and dry ginger powder.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds,followed by the crushed masala and spice powders on low flame.Saute until raw smell of masala disappears(about 30-45 secs).
- Add the moong dal mixture and saute until the masala gets blended well with moong.Add salt to taste,switch off flame when the masala is dry.Leave to cool.
- Add the flour in a bowl and add salt,mix well.Add in oil and mix well like bread crumbs.
- Add in the chilled water and mix to form a dough.Don't knead the dough,leave aside for 15-20 mins.
- Pinch out the dough in 12 equal balls,flatten each dough in a circle of 3" diameter by thinning out the edges.Place 2tsp of filling in the center,bring the sides together to close the ball.
- Place the seam side up and gently place the base of your palm.Flatten the kachoris to make 3" diameter circle,make sure the edges are thinned out evenly.
- Make 4-5 or make all but make sure to cover the made kachoris so that they don't dry up.Heat up the oil in a wok and check if oil is hot by adding a pinch of dough.If it immediately pops up,then oil is ready.Add the kachoris,leave good space to float,turn the other side.The kachoris then puff up and expand well.Wait till its golden brown on all sides(Keep flame on low medium and don't increase the heat)
- Drain on paper towel and repeat the same steps to make the rest.
- Serve warm with tamarind chutney and green mint chutney.
* You can add grated ginger too if you don't have ginger powder.Saute until raw smell disappears and add to filling.
* You can use all purpose flour and wheat flour to make the cover.But wheat flour tends to soften soon.
* You can add 2tbsp chopped cilantro leaves to the filling too.
* Don't use rolling pin to roll out the dough as it may leave holes in the dough and the filling tends to pop out when added to oil.
For all snack recipes,click here.