boiled potato 2-3,peeled and cubed
onion 1 medium sized thin sliced
green peas 1 cup (I used frozen packet)
ginger -garlic paste 1 tsp
coriander seeds crsuhed 1 1/2 tsp
chilly powder 1 tsp or as per spice needed
garam masala 1/2 tsp
cumin powder/cumin seeds crushed 1/3 tsp
turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
amchur powder 1/2 tsp
garam masala 1/2 tsp
cilantro 4 sprigs chopped
for the cover /wrap
all purpose flour 1 cup
wheat flour 1 cup
ajwain/carom seeds 1/2 tsp
salt to taste
oil for deep frying
for the filling preparation-
- Heat oil in a pan and saute onions for 2 minutes.
- Saute ginger garlic paste, and then add the spice powders,crushed spices and toss.
- In the meantime,add the potatoes cube in a microwave safe bowl .Microwave high on 10minutes.OR Pressure cook the potatoes for 3 whistles,peel the skin and cube them.
- Add the semi cooked potato cubes and green peas.Cook on low-medium heat till its completely cooked(takes about 15 minutes).Add in amchur powder and switch off flame
- It takes about 10-15 minutes and the filling is ready.Cool down completely before filling.
|(the filling and the prepared traingles)|
for the wrap/ cover-
- Sift the flours and mix salt,oil,ajwain and water.Knead the dough as like chapati for 5 minutes,cover and keep aside for an hour.(Keep the dough firm)
- Divide the dough into small balls slightly bigger than that of poori and roll it using a rolling pin and dust with flour if required.
- Cut the formed circle into 2 semicircles.Make 2 triangular cones and stick at the joints by pressing gently.
- Take a spoon and fill the filling in the cones without disturbing the shape of cones.
- Repeat the same till the dough or filling gets over.
- Place the prepared cones in a tray greased with oil.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan or wok and wait till oil is hot enough.Slide in the filled traingles,deep fry till golden brown on both sides.Place on medium heat and turn frequently so that you get a even color.Remove from oil and place on a paper towel.
- Serve hot with tamarind chutney /green mint chutney /tomato ketchup.We had with green mint chutney and tamarind dates chutney !!
* You can dry roast the coriander seeds and cumin seeds and lightly crush them and add.
* Adding onions to the filling is optional.I generally love to add.You can even add green chillies and reduce the chilly powder.
* You can add dried anardana(pomegranate seeds) too to the filling.
* The dough should be firm and not very elastic.
* The rolled discs shouldn't be very thick or very thin.
* Make a thin paste with all purpose flour and water.Apply it on the sides to seal carefully if the dough is not sticky enough.Else they tend to open up when fried in oil.
* You can use all purpose flour alone to make the cover.
* Don't keep the flame on high or too low.Too high brown it up fast and the inside doesn't cook and too low absorbs more oil.