Theeyals /roasted coconut(dark brown gravy) curry is common in the southern parts of India mostly Kerala.The usual trend is with dry roasting the coconut and heating the spices together and then grinding to a fine paste with a touch of tamarind.Its a very tasty curry with just hot steamed rice.No other additional side dish is required.I always love to have my mom's version;however I cannot reach upto her mark,but a good one.This recipe is bookmarked from my mom's recipes.
Earlier I had successfully tried the Bitter gourd theeyal,the recipe is here.The steps remain the same and the only difference is the change of main ingredient.Moreover,this is a better version for those who donot love bittergourds.
button mushroom 10-12 sliced
shallots 10 sliced
green chilli 3
garlic 3 cloves
coconut grated 1/2 cup
chilly powder 1tsp
coriander powder 1tsp
turmeric powder 1/2tsp
fenugreek seeds 1/2tsp
tamarind 1 amla size(soaked in water)
- Wash and slice the mushrooms and keep aside.
- Dry roast the coconut in a pan till brown.
- Mix all the spices into the roasted coconut and fry on a low flame,till a nice aroma comes.
|roasted spices and coconut|
- Put off the flame and cool it.Grind this mixture with garlic adding 1/4 cup water into a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and saute shallots for a minute.
- Saute the green chillies.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan in the remaining oil.
- Fry them for 3 minutes till the water starts to escape from mushrooms.
- Now add the fine paste,salt and water.
- Cook covered for 7 minutes and add the tamarind water.
- Again cook for 2minutes and is ready to serve once the gravy is thickened..
- Garnish with curry leaves.