Tomatoes are rich source of antioxidants and so should be incorporated in our daily diet.Tomato rice is nothing but rice cooked with tomatoes,a very simple comfort food.This can be prepared in a jiffy if you want something really fast & easy.This can be prepared using left over rice too.I usually prepare this on some weekends.The rice has a mildly spicy,tangy flavor and a nice color too.I tried the Vahchef's method as it was very simple and delicious.I served it with papadam & potato mezhukuparetti(stir fry).Do try this out on your busy day :-)
basmati rice cooked/ parboiled rice 4 cups(refer notes)
tomatoes 3-4 large
ghee 2 tbsp
red dry chillies 2-3
mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
cumin seeds 1/4 tsp
chana dal 1/2 tsp
urad dal 1/2 tsp
cashews broken 2 tbsp
onion 1/2 chopped
ginger chopped 1 " piece
green chillies 3 chopped
red chilly powder 1/2 tsp
garam masala a pinch(optional)
asafoetida a large pinch
- Wash & cook the rice as per your convenience.Keep aside to cool.(Don't overcook the rice)
- Heat ghee in a pan and fry red dry chillies, splutter mustard seeds.Then crackle the cumin seeds.
- Add the chana dal,fry till slightly brown.Then,add the urad dal,folllowed by broken cashews.Fry them slightly browned.
- Put the shredded ginger and green chillies.Saute lightly.
- Add in the curry leaves,and spices.Add in the onion.Saute till translucent.Add salt.
- Add in the tomatoes.Cook till slightly mashed.Adjust salt.
- Add in the cooked rice & toss well.
- Serve hot !!
Servings~ 3 adults
* You can use basmati rice or parboiled rice.I have used parboiled rice, as thats more comfort rice to me.
* You can use cilantro for garnish too!!
Sending this to Spotlight :rice/rotis/pulao/puri