Goat cheese also known as 'chevre'.The capric acid in goat's milk contributes to the tart flavor of goat cheese,though I don't like that flavor much but when it comes to a matter of being healthy.Then this is a good choice as it has twice the protein and half the fat and cholesterol compared to the regular cow's milk cheese.The fat molecule in goat cheese are smaller making it comfortable to people who are lactose intolerant too.It is very rich in calcium and low in calories.I saw this recipe in you tube and was hooked by it.So,if you can forget the tart flavor of the goat cheese then this is truly a delicious appetizer.My husband loves goat cheese a lot.It has the richness of cheese,flaky crust and the sweet tangy flavor of the onion on top.Enjoy for your get together & parties !!
puff pastry sheets 2
goat cheese 1/2 pkt(5 oz)
for onion jam
sweet onion 1 large sliced thin
red onion 1 large sliced thin
soy sauce 2tsp
rosemary fresh 2-3 sprigs finely chopped or dry 1/4 tsp
honey 1 tbsp
vinegar 2 tsp
salt to taste
pepper to taste
oil 3 tbsp
- For Onion jam-Heat oil in a pan and saute the onions until slightly browned and soft.Add in the vinegar,soy sauce and saute until its absorbed.Add honey and mix well.Add rosemary,salt and pepper.Combine,put off flame.
- Thaw the puff pastry sheets as per packet instructions.Roll out the sheets.Using a round cutter of 4",cut out rounds and place in each muffin cup such that the sides are adhered to the sides of the muffin tray.
- Crumble the goat cheese at room temperature,add pepper to taste.Add half a tsp of mixture in the puff pastry cups.
- Add a spoonful of prepared onion jam on top.Repeat the same for all other muffins cups.
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees F and place the muffin tray in the refrigerator for 15 minutes covered with a cling wrap.
- Remove from refrigerator and place in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes until the cheese is melted and the onion jam turns golden brown.
- Let it rest in the muffin tray for 5-6 minutes until its warm to touch and easy to pop it out from the oven.
*Always serve this with a paper towel as the cheese leaves out oil and can turn messy.
* Cream cheese can work great too instead of goat cheese. But I haven't tried that.
* You can use homemade puff pastry sheet too to make these tartlets !!