Dahi vada(Yogurt vadas),is a delicious snack with the crisp vadas soaked in dahi or yogurt and very yum during summers when served chilled.Though the original recipe calls for crisp fried vadas fried in oil but this one is for the 'Fried to Fav 'series.This month's theme was baked or steamed dahi vadas but I rather tried a very easy version of this using microwave.I would like to thank Nupur @ UK Rasoi for this yummy challenge.They were absolutely soft and delicious but the only lacking part was the outer crisp part but I think that can be solved by microwaving it to another minute or so but then I was a bit apprehensive as sometime it may turn hard.So I didn't want to lose the soft texture of vadas.Apart from the crisp part everything else tastes similar to the fried vadas.If you wish to cut off your extra oil from your recipe,then this will surely solve the problem..:-) We just loved it with sweet tamarind chutney topping,Do try it at home!!
split moong dal 1/2 cup
green chillies 2
baking soda a pinch(optional)
yogurt 2 cups
buttermilk or thin yogurt 11/2 cup
chilly powder 1/2 tsp
roasted cumin powder 1/2 tsp
chat masala 1/2 tsp
drizzle of salt
sweet tamarind chutney 2 tsp
- Wash and soak the moong dal for 4-5 hours or soak it in very hot water for 1 hour.Grind the dal with very little water ,green chillies and salt to a smooth paste.Keep whisking the batter 3-4 times in a circular motion to make it light & fluffy.Then,add the pinch of baking soda to the batter.
- Apply oil in the ramekin or spray with oil.Then pour around 1 tbsp of batter in it and microwave on high for 1 minute.(You can see in the image the vadas leave the sides of ramekin or insert a tooth pick to see it comes out clean)
-Let it cool for another minute and remove from ramekin.
-Repeat the same step till you finish making all vadas.
-Then take the thin yogurt or buttermilk in a bowl ,add salt and put all the vadas in it.
-Let it remain soaked for another 25-30 minutes.
-In another bowl,place the vadas & pour the thick yogurt on top of it.
-Add the chilly powder,cumin powder,chat masala and a drizzle of salt.
-Pour the sweet tamarind chutney on top.
-Serve it chilled or JLT !!
Servings~ 5 vadas
* You can pour the batter in a large pan and microwave accordingly.Then cut and make the shape of vadas or squares.
* Adding baking soda gives the extra softness and so helps in easy soaking of vadas.
* You can use urad dal too in place of moong dal.
Linking this to Fried To Fav event hosted by Nupur @ UK Rasoi ,Only Microwave Recipes hosted by Pari @ foodelicious